At Sugar and Spice Brides we would love to help you find your wedding dress.
During the current COVID-19 pandemic we have had to make some changes to the way we work and we have added a section to this page to provide details of these changes.
We have also answered some general questions we get asked most often and we hope you will find them useful. If you have any concerns or questions not listed, please get in touch right away and we will be happy to discuss any part of the process with you.
- While every reasonable precaution will be taken, an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. By attending an appointment at Sugar and Spice Brides you are accepting that this is a close contact environment and voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19.
- By attending an appointment you will be granting us permission to pass on your details should we be contacted by the NHS Track and Trace service.
- If you, your guests or anyone you have been in contact with are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms you must not attend your appointment and instead get in touch with us to reschedule your appointment for a suitable date, at least 14 days later.
- We will be wiping down all high touch areas in the boutique before and after your appointment and all dresses and accessories that have been tried on will be quarantined for 48 hours.
- We are running the boutique with very limited appointments to allow us to comply with the 48 hour product quarantining requirement.
- As appointments are in demand due to being very limited, and also to minimise exposure (for us and you!), we respectfully ask that you only book an appointment if you are ready to purchase your dress should you find "The One".
- All appointments will be booked for 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- To minimise contact with our gowns we are currenly asking that the day before your appointment you provide us with a shortlist of 6 dresses that you would like to try.
All of our current collection, as well as our discounted sale dresses, can be found on the Dress Gallery and Sale Dresses pages here on our website. We will be updating these pages daily should we sell a dress off the rail.
Don't worry if you decide that you are not sure about a dress when we show it to you in person as you can swap for a different style before we start to try on, this just gives us somewhere to start! We might also be able to accommodate trying additional dresses during your appointment should there be time.
- We will not be asking you to wear gloves, it is important to us that you can feel the fabric of the gowns.
- To adhere to current social distancing/indoor gathering regulations we can only allow you to bring two adult guests and you and your guests must come from a combined total of no more than two different households. You are very welcome to use your own devices to have others join in virtually but we would always recommend keeping your entourage to two or three opinions you truly value otherwise it can be a little overwhelming!
- Please bring a face mask with you that you will be comfortable wearing for the duration of your appointment. We require that a face mask is worn inside the boutique by everyone in your party at all times (we will be wearing one too!) and must be securely in place covering your nose and mouth before entering the boutique.
- Everyone will be asked to use hand sanitiser once settled in the boutique and also before leaving the boutique. We will provide a 70% alcohol sanitiser gel for you to use as we do not have any handwashing facilities on site in a customer accessible area.
- We are currently only able to accept payment by credit or debit card using chip and pin. We are not able to accept any cash payments or card payments over the telephone.
Frequently Asked Questions
When should I begin shopping for my wedding dress?
It is best to start looking for dresses at least 12 months prior to your wedding date. This allows you enough time to narrow down your selection and then to order the dress of your dreams as we recommend doing so at least 9 months before your wedding. This will make sure there is plenty of time for your dress to arrive and to allow for alterations to be carried-out to ensure that perfect fit.
Don't let the time frame worry you if you do not have that much time. Some of our designers offer the option of rush orders for an additional charge. There may also be the possibility of purchasing one of our gowns "off the rail".
Will the dresses fit me?
We have samples ranging from a size 10 to a size 16 in the boutique and we have selected our sample sizes to suit the style and structure of each gown. It is normal for brides to be trying on dresses that may be a size or two too big or small so a little imagination may be required. You may also find that not every gown is suitable for you to try depending on body shape.
How do I make an appointment at Sugar and Spice Brides?
Call us, email us or send us a message through our shop Facebook page to arrange your appointment.
We will always try to reply to your email within 24 hours, Monday to Friday, but it may take a little longer over the weekends and we thank you for your patience. We sometimes find that our replies make their way into junk and spam folders. If you have not heard from us and there is nothing in your junk or spam folder, then please do give us a call or send us a message through our Facebook page. We will never intentionally ignore an email!
Do I need an appointment to view wedding dresses at Sugar and Spice Brides?
Yes, due to the current Covid-19 situation we are currently able to see brides by appointment only.
What if I book an appointment and then I can't make it?
Don't worry, things happen! We will have reserved the boutique just for you but if you can't make it then please do get in touch so that we can reschedule your appointment if you would still like to visit us another time. Letting us know will also allow us to open up the appointment in our diary and give another bride the opportunity to visit us.
How long does an appointment last?
A typical bridal appointment lasts around 1hour 30mins. Free parking for 3 hours is available outside the town hall. Alternatively, we are very close to Waitrose in the town centre where you can park for 2 and a half hours, also for free.
What should I wear to my appointment?
You should wear something that you can easily get in to and out of, so avoid outfits with lots of buttons or fiddly zips. Also bring a well fitting bra and, if possible, a strapless one to change into. Some of the dresses will look best with a strapless bra so it’s good to have options to see each dress looking at its best.
Please also make sure that make up is kept to a minimum and we request that you are not wearing fake tan. This is so that we can keep our dresses nice and clean for you to try on.
Do I have to pay for my dress in full at the time of purchase?
We require a non-refundable 50% initial payment to process a made to order dress. If we have a promotion running when you order your dress the initial payment will be 50% of the full price and any discount will be taken off the balance payment. Any rush delivery or pattern change premiums will be charged for in full as part of your initial payment. The remaining balance of your order is payable within 2 weeks of your dress arriving at the boutique.
Off the rail gowns and sale items must be paid for in full at time of purchase, taken straight away and are non-refundable or exchangeable.
After my order is placed, how long will it be before I get my dress?
Our designers will usually have your dress ready within 4 to 6 months of ordering but it can sometimes be longer during peak seasons. Estimated delivery dates will be provided by us at the time of purchase. Your dress will be handmade then couriered to the boutique ready for you to collect.
What if my dress needs alterations?
Most dresses will need alterations of some kind. It is usual for a dress to need tailoring to achieve the perfect fit. We do not carry out any alterations at the boutique, we do have details of independent seamstresses that we are happy to provide but we cannot guarantee their availability. Any alteration costs are in addition to the cost of your gown and are paid direct to the seamstress you choose to use.